PVC film—also referred to as vinyl film—is a thin thermoplastic film available in a variety of forms and finishes. Depending on the requirements and restrictions of the intended application, it can demonstrate rigidity or flexibility and feature a clear, colored, translucent, opaque, matte, or glossy finish. Due to its versatile nature, the material finds use across a wide range of industrial applications, ranging from shower curtains to pharmaceutical packaging.
Why is PVC Frequently Used?
Compared to other thermoplastic film materials, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) film offers several advantages, including:
- Durability. PVC is highly durable, exhibiting exceptional resistance to damage due to harsh environmental conditions such as corrosive chemicals, abrasion, shock, and impact. These properties make it suitable for use in medium to long term applications involving exposure to external environments.
- Operational and environmental safety. PVC is non-toxic and thoroughly tested for environmental effects. It meets a variety of domestic and international health and safety standards, including those outlined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), National Sanitation Foundation (NSF), and International Safety Standards (ISS).
- Fire resistance. Due to its high chlorine content, PVC is highly resistant to fire. It does not ignite easily or produce a great deal of heat when burned. However, as it can emit harmful chemicals when melted or burned, those handling the material in operations involving open flames or high temperatures should take the proper precautions to reduce the risk of adverse health effects. It is also self-extinguishing.
- Non-conductivity. PVC does not conduct electricity, which makes it suitable for use as an insulator in industrial and mechanical components and buildings.
- Cost-effectiveness. Despite its numerous advantages, PVC is inexpensive to manufacture and easy to manipulate into desired shapes and sizes. These qualities make it a cost-effective material option for industrial applications.
- Versatility. The physical properties of PVC allow it to accommodate a wide range of applications, as outlined below.
What is PVC Film Used For?
PVC film is a form of PVC used widely in industrial applications, such as:
Waterproof Enclosures and Products
The exceptional durability and water resistance of PVC film make it an excellent material for outdoor and indoor waterproof enclosures and products, such as canopies, tents, and shower curtains.
Furniture and Supply Covers
PVC film is an excellent product for the fabrication of furniture covers and protective products such as food delivery bags and imitation leather. Covers and products made with PVC film are weatherproof, easy to maintain, and can be laminated for additional protection.
Windows and Siding
PVC’s insulating and heat resistant properties, coupled with its durability, make PVC film an ideal option for use in window covers and siding.
Industry professionals use both rigid and flexible PVC film to manufacture packaging materials. For example, flexible film can be used to create tamper-resistant seals for products such as consumer goods, food and beverages, and pharmaceuticals, while rigid film is suitable for packaging materials such as clamshells.
Custom PVC Plastics From Adams Plastics
At Adams Plastics, we offer high-quality converting services to produce custom products from plastic materials such as PVC film. Our converting capabilities include laminating, slitting, sheeting, and printing. For more information on our products and services, contact us today. If you need assistance with your next plastic product project, reach out to our team to request a quote or sample.
Clear vinyl is a flexible and durable plastic material available in a wide range of sizes and thicknesses (i.e., gauges). It is used for its transparent quality, which allows users to see through to the other side. The level of optical clarity may vary from one brand to the next and may worsen or improve with thinner or thicker gauges, respectively. Compared to other types of materials, clear vinyl offers a variety of benefits that make it suitable for use in a wide range of applications.
Adams Plastics is a premier supplier of plastic materials, including clear vinyl. Our Prime Cristal Clear Vinyl is a high-quality, Prop 65-compliant material that finds application across a diverse set of industries.
Benefits of Clear Plastic Vinyl
When used in industrial applications, clear vinyl offers several advantages, including:
- Flexibility. Clear vinyl is highly flexible and can be shaped according to the needs of the particular application.
- Durability. Clear vinyl can withstand tough environmental and operating conditions, such as extreme temperatures.
- Moisture resistance and waterproof properties. A clear vinyl layer can guard equipment and systems against the accumulation of water and other liquids.
- Optical clarity. Thick vinyl gauges offer exceptional see-through properties for applications in which visibility is a high priority.
- UV resistance. Clear vinyl windows can block harmful UV rays from entering into the enclosure.
- Easy maintenance. The vast majority of clear vinyl products require little to no maintenance.
- Versatility. Clear vinyl is suitable for use in a wide range of applications. For instance, clear vinyl can be used to protect furniture in storage, appliances, and other pieces of machinery.
What is Clear Vinyl Used For?
The applications of clear vinyl span across a variety of industries, particularly in ones where clarity and/or visibility is of the utmost importance. From mom and pop shops to large industrial corporations (such as canvas suppliers and enclosure manufacturers), industry professionals use clear vinyl for a variety of industrial and consumer goods.
For example, Prime Cristal Clear Vinyl is often used in the following:
- Marine/boat enclosures. Boat windshields, boat windows, and dodgers all require a material that offers visibility and durability.
- Golf cart covers/enclosures. Golf cart drivers need to see where they are going. At the same time, a clear vinyl enclosure allows for greater comfort and protection against stray balls.
- Tent/yurt windows. Clear vinyl windows allow campers to enjoy a view in comfort without letting in bugs or rain.
- Restaurant/home patio enclosures. Clear vinyl screens help to keep out the cold or heat, allowing patrons and homeowners to enjoy a view without having to worry about being uncomfortable.
- Cleanrooms. The moisture-resistant properties of clear vinyl make it highly suitable for cleanroom applications.
Partner With Adams Plastics for High-Quality Clear Vinyl Fabric
Clear vinyl is an ideal material for applications requiring visibility, as well as flexibility and durability. With over 50 years of experience providing plastics, Adams Plastics has the expertise needed to provide high-quality vinyl material that meets every customer’s needs.